Beautiful Day at the new range. After getting some brush cleared I marked off the range in 25 yard increments and built a new bench.
That's the UTG Blackout. I had a spare 1:10 SS barrel and wanted to try out the new UTG slimline FF fore end. Not a bad unit. They were having a sale so I bought an A2 stock, Ergo grip, and one of their Accushot 1-4.5x28 CQB scopes with the circle dot and a bazzillion different colors. It came with their quick release rings (low) and flip up scope covers. Low magnification wasn't very clear so I jacked it up and mounted it and so far so good. Rings are too low and eye relief takes some adjusting. Maybe that was the issue with the low power? I like the slim fore end. Those quad rails look nice, but just way too big to be practical for me. I had some of the 7.8gr Lil Gun loads + I loaded up some 6.7gr of H 2400 with 147gr FMJ loaded frontwards and backwards. The backwards ones hit 10" lower than the NOE 247gr cast loads ! But, they did group better I didn't chrono anything and none of the load would lock the action back on the carbine port barrel, as expected. I'll get to work on that..... I only had a few of each to see how they functioned so next time I'll bring a bunch more for further testing. It sure is nice to have a 100 yd range where I don't have to go over the river and through the woods to get to the targets !!!!
Hard rain all day Sunday so I loaded up a bunch of ammo. Here's the 147gr FMJ's and the new Lee 230 5R Blackout cast bullet. The dark color is tumble lube thats been sitting for a while. The boolit is seated to the crimp groove and is 2.260" oal.
The rain will stop in a few days and hopefully dry out enough to get back out and see how these fly at 100 yds. Hope to get some trajectory calcs done, but not on the top of the priority list
Got the 1:8 done while I was home and started breaking it in with various boolits today. The Lee 230 5R, NOE 247, Sierra 220 HP, Hornady 180 SP, all with 7.7 gr of Lil Gun. Some were supersonic so need to back down on the charge a bit. 95% locked the action back with the pistol port barrel.
Working with the 300 BO strictly subsonic with bulk 220 gr HPBT I picked up at funshow. Had some issues sighting in so went old school and got on paper at 25, dropped 3" at 50yd and off the paper at 75! I had estimated a 7-8" drop at 100, but I was there at 75yds. Went back to the chrono and lo and behold, 770 fps...... I guess I should have believed QL, and chrono'd every load. I know drop and hold over, but seeing it on paper really drives it home. I'll post pics when I get a chance.
Built two more 300's with 10" ss brls to do some load and accuracy testing. First off, man are my eyes getting bad! Its been over two years since my last pair of glasses and things definitely aren't getting better. Upper 1 was the 16" I did a while back and has the UTG Accushot 4x scope. Upper 2 has 10" ss brl with a bushnell 4x pistol scope. Upper 3 is a 10" ss with UTG flip up iron sights. For ammo I also had three rounds: Factory Remington 220gr JHP, gun show bulk 220gr JHP over 8gr on Lil Gun, and Bulk 147 FMJ over 8 gr of Lil Gun. The drill was pretty simple, run three rounds of each load through each upper and see how they all compared. The Bushnell was the easiest scope for me to use, the Accushot I could not get into focus well, and the iron sights, well, they function on a carbine, not so hot on a pistol. Needless to say, I had fun at the range, got some trigger time in, and learned some things I already knew. I'll get the pictures up as soon as I can.....
Ran three rounds each load at 25 yds them moved targets out to 50 to check drop. The factory loads had a lower spread on the chrono with 15 fps but I had some mixed LC in with the Fireball brass on reloads. After a trip back to the bench the reloads came out within 28 fps. I added some of the Lee 230 5R loads but results were not good at all. They were all over and even got some tumbling. I did get some shaved lead when seating a few and the liquid Alox may have been a bit thin. I relubed a batch and used my Lee Tok powder through expanding die on the case mouths to open them up a bit. I loaded up 5 more for testing, hopefully tomorrow!
Wow, 2 yrs since our last Blackout post... Got a new BO barrel done by our new barrel guy, 1:8 twist with a nitride finish. G did a great job on the barrel and now to test fire.
Picked up some factory 220gr and 150gr loads (wow, now I know why I reaload $$$$$) to verify function with factory ammo. Feed and function were 100% and did a quick sight in with the 150gr loads. I figured the 220's would drop significantly like we had with our hand loads so I tested off hand at 50 yrds. Bullets hit point of aim so I figured with the vertical targets I had set up, I would aim at the top and hit the bottom one. From a bag at 100 yds and a 4x handgun scope on the 8" 300 BO I touched off 3 rounds (and was reminded of the horrible trigger in that lower... long creep then at least 6lb pull) Walked down range and looked at the bottom target and found no new bullet holes. Glancing up to the top target, there were three new holes....
I thought that I hadn't marked out the existing holes in the target, so I went back and did it again.... Low and behold, there were three new holes. The thing that got me was hitting point of aim with the set up. I borrowed the scope from the 22 TCM sub set up which was printing low. Regardless, for a new barrel with less than 20 rounds, the 220 gr factory loads were acceptable. Good Job G!