I've made a few when I have had to but this time I knocked out some die bodies and will see if I can set up for reamers for chambers and size dies. Everyone is crazy busy so we'll see what happens. Got the W1 in the lathe and ready to test the program out. Pictures to follow.
Programmed the lathe for the 22 Uzi size die reamer and cut some tool steel
Then set up the Mill and index jig to cut flutes and wrote a program to do that
Then we cut a couple.....
These first ones are simple 4 flute because they are easy to cut. If they harden up right, I'll look at some different tooling to cut a 5 or 7 flute. Just finished hardening and tempering so we'll see if we have a reamer when I hit it with the stone! I've got some die bodies already made so then it will be time to do some test cuts on those.
Cut the die body the other day on some 1" rod stock I had laying around. Next move was to see if our reamer would cut it.
Reamer cut great so I hand polished the inside of our new 22 Uzi full length size die and the next step is to add the de-capping pin. There are multiple ways to do this but I'm going with the Lee design because those are the parts I've got here at the shop.
On the left is the modified CH4D die I did for the 22 Uzi, then the Lee TCM, and our die body. Up top is the first reamer I did for the Tokarev years ago, 2008 I think, and our last two 22 Uzi size reamers. Now to drill and tap for the de-capper
Drilled and tapped for Lee style de-capper. Now to make the de-capper pin as the 22 Uzi is so short you have to do a "reverse" button like the 22 RE. Knocked out a few cases on the press and I'm going to cut my chamber a bit deeper in the die body to get my depth right. We have a die!
Now that I have a real sizing die I have been checking my brass and chambers that I have made so far for the 22 Uzi. Needless to say, they are all over the place on dimensions, and typically longer bodies and shorter necks. I've been reviewing my prints and forming brass, but even with a .150" neck, they look way too long! But, we have to have a standard so I'll get this nailed down and go.
Been sitting on this project way too long. Last thing I did was start to neck ream some brass because the necks were pretty thick working down the 9x23 brass. I am doing outside neck reaming because I wasn't at the shop and could not get set up for inside reaming, but hopefully I'll be back long enough to get the set up together and knock out about 1000 of the brass that I have.