Doing some throat work on the 10" pistol barrel for the 300gr cast loads. Using modifed data for a 250gr RCBS cast bullet QL calculates 1500 fps / 1500 ftlb energy based on 45ksi pressures. Using a 1:14 twist brl so will do some sub testing and see if this thing begs to be silenced. The case is a bit short for 150gr bullets, but with 180's definately puts it in the 30-30 class.
Finally got the 10" pistol going and ran some brass through the ARem dies.
Definitely see where we are pushing the shoulder back on the x39 brass on this one. Loaded up some 9mm stuff to fire form some brass, then ran some of the 300 gr hard cast seated to where they would chamber. Had to get down to 2.080" and you could still see land marks on the bullet. 10gr of Lil Gun put us at 1020 fps and 15gr was 1345 fps from the 10" barrel. Didn't do any target work today.... other than slamming some steel plates!
Couldn't find a 200 gr mold from Lee so will check with the other options and see what happens. I'll check with the Castboolits guys and NOE and see what is out there. Bro says he's got a bunch of 180 FPGC so we are going to give them a try. The Hornady 180 SSP's are default jacketed bullets. I haven't tried any of the lighter 357 Mag stuff tho.
One of the last times I was home I loaded up some of the 300gr hard cast and seated them way in so they would feed. Got them up to about 1550 fps and ran out of time. This thing is just a sledge hammer and makes a great Whitetail swamp gun. I need to put some more effort into a 200-250gr cast mold.
Wow, didn't think I've let this set for this long Got some more Hunters Supply hard cast, 246gr this time instead of the 300's. They are still just a shade too long and seat below the base of the neck in the case but we are close. I'm thinking about 220-225 gr cast bullet will max the case capacity and make this a great swamp gun. QL predicts that a 225gr cast bullet with a full case of 4227 will hit 2000 fps. That should do the job!
Got both barrels done and fitted up. Been fire forming brass and taking measurements. After cleaning some of the 35 ARem brass along with the 300 BO, the similarities are interesting. Will post pics later...
Been shooting, forming, and reloading more of these rounds. The pistol seems to be a few thousands shorter chamber than the rifle. Another thing different about this pair than my last set is the necks seem to be a bit longer. That means I didn't get the shoulders forward enough. Maybe its time to get a real reamer done and a set of dies like we did with the 257 to standardize some things. Running 25 gr of 4227 produced just a hint of bolt swipe. Last set was really sensitive to OAL both too long and too short so we'll keep playing. Have not tried the 246gr cast loads yet but ran a few through the pistol this weekend.
Here are three rounds of the ARem on the right with a 300 BO with the 220gr JHP on the left. Loads from far right is the 300gr Cast, 180gr JSP, and a 9mm 147 JHP I loaded up the 147 JHP with 5gr of Universal to see what would happen with the 1:14 twist barrel and a short bullet. I loaded 5 rounds at 5 gr and then 5 more at 10gr. I didn't load up any of the 246gr cast because I don't have my universal expander here. Without it, I scraped some lead while seating which is not good.....
Neither of the 147gr loadings would cycle the action of the AR. I hand cycled the 147gr sub loads first at 25 yards.
After that I cycled the 10gr loads to do a comparison to the sub loads.
as you see the point of impact was exactly the same. Now remember these are .355 bullets but I didn't have any short .358 bullets. I did try to stuff a wadcutter in there but without the bevel on the case mouth it failed miserably. I'm going to take a look at available .358 / .359 bullets and also something with a faster twist to see what happens. I've also got some more die work to do to get this thing standardized but this was a fun shoot today.