Did manage to fire up the pot last night. Took your advice and cranked up the temp but never got them to frost, even at max. Lots of shiny boolits with wrinkles, so definitely not up to temp. Did some runs with the NOE mold and the Lee 190's. Did manage to get some of the Lee's to turn out using max temp and run and gun speed. One thing I didn't try was a forced fill from the bottom pour. Looks like I might need to invest in a thermometer to see what the ol' Lyman pot puts out.
I never did get the Lee production pot hot enough, well it might be but I never got the mold hot enough to work with it. the key is getting the bottom of the mold up to temp, try cutting the sprue's on a few casts and then leaving them in there a bit longer, leaching that heat into the mold. having a hot plate handy to set the mold on for a big can help to. They say that when you lube the sprue plate pin ... it will smoke a bit when the mold is hot enough.
PS. whenever I tried a force fill from the bottom pour it would freeze my spout and I would have to futz about making pour again.
Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 16:52:48 GMT -5 by greywuuf
...... or if you wanted some to try right now and don't mind straight wheel weight I could send you some. I have both GC and PB .. though I see fed ex is still a day out on my sizing/GC seating die. since until I find my tail stock and get my garage cleaned I wont have a barrel anyway, someone should shoot them.
Last Edit: Oct 31, 2011 16:51:38 GMT -5 by greywuuf
Going to try it again when I get back. Took about 4 casts to feel the heat on the bottom of that long aluminum block so getting the bottom hot is going to be important. If it don't work out I'll let you know.
Got the boolits GW, look good! Also fired up the pot while cutting wood yesterday. Don't think the old furnace is what she used to be. Had to max out the temp and run and gun on pouring to get any good ones. Still not filled out like yours are so I'll use those for testing. Did get some of the Lee 180's done and lubed them last night so should be ready for sizing and loading today.
Been blessed with mild weather so any spare time during the day has been relegated to wood cutting. Got the cast boolits cleaned up and re-lubed. Still hacking but can breathe again. Have a 1:8 Tok to assemble for testing, but its been throated so have another 1:10 being assembled to test the bore riders.